What a stellar year for music. Everyone’s been saying that and writing about it, I might as well join in. Of the music I’ve listened to, released in 2015, below are some of my favourite albums and songs.
No surprises for the top spots here, I mostly went gaga for Tame Impala this year. But there were plenty of fantastic albums and individual songs released in 2015 that I felt compelled to list. Previously I wrote about some of my favourite Australian albums of 2015, a number of which you will see below.
Top songs don’t necessarily mean top albums, or vice versa. For me, a great album is a collection of great songs that work together harmoniously and conceptually as lyrical and melodic stories. I can listen to these albums on repeat and from start to finish without skipping. Same goes for my favourite songs of the year; they are continually enjoyable listens and expertly crafted individual works of art.
I should probably mention that I believe music is the most subjective entertainment medium or form of art. I don’t necessarily see the point in grading music or telling people whether it’s good or not. Sure, it’s fine to provide an opinion on why you think a certain song or album is great or bad, but why bother critiquing music that doesn’t suit your particular taste.
Having said that, I like to think I have a reasonably diverse palate (you’ll see rap, electronica, space-rock psychedelia, alternative country and more below).
So without further ado…
Top 10 Albums of 2015
- Currents – Tame Impala
- Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit – Courtney Barnett
- Man It Feels Like Space Again – Pond
- Wellness – Last Dinosaurs
- Glitterbug – The Wombats
- What Went Down – Foals
- In A Restless House – City Calm Down
- Sound & Color – Alabama Shakes
- 1989 – Ryan Adams
- If I Should Go Before You – City and Colour
The Positions – Gang of Youths, b’lieve i’m goin down -Kurt Vile, Goon – Tobias Jesso Jnr.
Top 20 Songs of 2015
- “Let It Happen” – Tame Impala
- “Depreston” – Courtney Barnett
- “Pedestrian At Best” – Courtney Barnett
- “The Less I Know The Better” – Tame Impala*
- “Gosh” – Jamie xx
- “Future People” – Alabama Shakes
- “Zond” – Pond
- “Mountain At My Gates” – Foals
- “Magnolia” – Gang of Youths
- “Twilight Driving” – Methyl Ethel
- “Son” – City Calm Down
- “High” – Royal Headache
- “Sparks” – Beach House
- “Pretty Pimpin'” – Kurt Vile
- “King Kunta” – Kendrick Lamar
- “Can’t Keep Checking My Phone” – Unknown Mortal Orchestra
- “Be Your Shadow” – The Wombats
- “Sagres” – The Tallest Man On Earth
- “Sooth Lady Wine” – Matt Corby
- “The Trouble With Us” – Marcus Marr & Chet Faker
*Decided to cap it at two from any one artist otherwise you would see a lot more of Tame Impala here.